WHAT IS DATA LOSS PREVENTION (DLP)?
Data loss prevention (DLP) is a term for a category of software that helps organizations protect their data from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Data loss prevention tools monitor both user and system activity to find and prevent unauthorized data access. Data loss prevention tools can be used to protect information at rest (stored on a device or in a database) or in motion (traveling across a network).
Data loss prevention tools work in a variety of ways. Some tools monitor data flows and look for patterns that indicate unauthorized access. Others watch for specific keywords or file types that may indicate a data leak. Some tools use machine learning algorithms to identify abnormal activity, while others rely on security personnel to review data activity and investigate any suspicious behavior.
Data loss prevention tools are important for organizations of all sizes. In a study by the Ponemon Institute, 43 percent of organizations reported that they had experienced a data loss incident in the past two years. The average cost of a data loss incident was $3.86 million. Data loss can have a serious impact on an organization, including lost revenue, damage to reputation, and increased expenses.
Organizations should consider the following when deciding whether to implement a data loss prevention solution:
– The type of data that needs to be protected
– The sensitivity of the data
– The potential risks to the data
– The number of devices that need to be protected
– The size of the organization
There are a variety of data loss prevention solutions on the market, and the best solution for an organization will vary depending on its specific needs.
How to protect your data with data loss prevention
There are several methods for protecting data with DLP. One common method is data encryption. Encryption converts data into an unreadable format, making it difficult for unauthorized users to access the information. Another common method is data masking. Masking replaces confidential data with non-confidential data, making it difficult for unauthorized users to identify the confidential data.
DLP can also be used to monitor data activity. This includes monitoring the creation, modification, or deletion of data files, as well as the sending or receiving of data files via email or internet. DLP can also be used to monitor user activity, such as the websites visited and the files downloaded.
There are several things to consider when implementing DLP. The first is the type of data that needs to be protected. The second is the type of data loss prevention solution that is best suited for the organization. The third is the implementation and maintenance of the DLP solution.
- The first step is to identify the type of data that needs to be protected. This includes identifying the confidential data that needs to be protected, as well as the location of the data and the users who have access to the data.
- The second step is to select the type of DLP solution that is best suited for the organization. There are many different types of DLP solutions, such as data encryption, data masking, and data monitoring. Each organization will have different needs, so it is important to select the solution that best meets the organization’s needs.
- The third step is to implement and maintain the DLP solution. This includes deploying the DLP solution, setting up the rules and filters, and training the users. It is important to keep the DLP solution up-to-date with the latest patches and updates.
DLP can be a valuable tool for protecting data. By following these steps, organizations can ensure that their data is safe and secure.